Rats. Animal feces. Mouse carcasses. These aren’t things you want associated with the food you eat every day. But according to recent Food and Drug Administration inspections of food warehouses, our food is stored and mishandled in facilities littered with such contaminants.
In 2014, the FDA cited more than 90 warehouses across the country with conditions so disgusting that one Senate Democrat compared it to “a page straight out of Upton Sinclair’s ‘The Jungle,’”1 yet the FDA still inspects food warehouses too infrequently and the penalties for violators are far too weak.
The safety of our food is at risk every day these dangerous facilities continue to operate without proper oversight. It’s time the FDA strengthen its inspection process and clean up food warehouses to keep our food and families safe.
Tell the FDA: Crack down on unsanitary food warehouses.
Nearly 1 in 6 Americans – roughly 48 million people – get food poisoning every year, resulting in 128,000 hospitalizations and nearly 3,000 deaths.2 Yet, facilities that store our food deemed “high risk” by the FDA are shockingly only inspected once every three years, while others are inspected even less often, posing a significant risk to our food and our health.3
The FDA must change its inspection practices and ramp up enforcement of infractions at food warehouses to keep consumers safe. It can do that by conducting more frequent inspections, be more transparent about and timely with reporting negligent facilities, and drastically increase fines on violators.4
Consumers have the right to safe food. We must pressure the FDA to adopt these commonsense proposals to protect the food supply and ensure companies that violate food safety regulations are held accountable for endangering the public.
Tell the FDA: Make sure our food is safe to eat.
Thanks for all you do to keep our food safe.
- Sam P.K. Collins, “Senator Pressures FDA To Crack Down On ‘Disgusting’ Warehouses That Supply Our Food,” ThinkProgress, January 12, 2015
- “Estimates of Foodborne Illness in the United States,” Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- “Senator Calls on FDA to Crack Down on ‘Disgusting’ Food Facilities,” Food Safety News, January 15, 2015
- “Schumer: Rat-Infested Food Warehouses Supplying Nyc Restaurants With Everything From Cannolis To Chinese & Russian Food Have Seriously Violated Food Safety Standards & The Public Is Never Informed; Calls On Fda For Three-Step Plan To Boost Inspections, Increase Fines & Create Easily-Searchable Database So Restaurants Can Stop Buying From Unsanitary Operations,” Office of Senator Charles Schumer, January 12, 2015
Why All the Anger?by Dr. Jack Wolfson
Special to Health Impact News
I recently did an interview which was aired on NBC Phoenix. I was asked my opinion on vaccinations in response to the current measles outbreaks that have occurred at Disneyland in California. My reply has generated quite a bit of anger in thousands of people.
There has also been a tremendous amount of support to my comments and opinions. In short, The Society Against Injecting Our Kids With Chemicals (TSAIOKWC for short) has a lot of followers.
I want to address all this misguided anger and see if we can re-direct it where it belongs.
- Be angry at food companies. Sugar cereals, donuts, cookies, and cupcakes lead to millions of deaths per year. At its worst, chicken pox killed 100 people per year. If those chicken pox people didn’t eat cereal and donuts, they may still be alive. Call up Nabisco and Kellogg’s and complain. Protest their products. Send THEM hate-mail.
- Be angry at fast food restaurants. Tortured meat burgers, pesticide fries, and hormone milkshakes are the problem. The problem is not Hepatitis B which is a virus contracted by drug users and those who sleep with prostitutes. And you want to inject that vaccine into your newborn?
- Be angry at the companies who make your toxic laundry detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets. You and your children are wearing and breathing known carcinogens (they cause cancer). Call Bounce and Downy and let them know. These products kill more people than mumps, a virus which actually doesn’t cause anyone to die. Same with hepatitis A, a watery diarrhea.
- Be angry at all the companies spewing pollution into our environment. These chemicals and heavy metals are known to cause autism, heart disease, cancer, autoimmune disease and every other health problem. Worldwide, these lead to 10’s of millions of deaths every year. Measles deaths are a tiny fraction compared to pollution.
- Be angry at your parents for not breastfeeding you, co-sleeping with you, and stuffing your face with Domino’s so they can buy more Tide and finish the laundry. Breastfeeding protects your children from many infectious diseases.
- Be angry with your doctor for being close-minded and not disclosing the ingredients in vaccines (not that they read the package insert anyway). They should tell you about the aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, aborted fetal tissue, animal proteins, polysorbate 80, antibiotics, and other chemicals in the shots. According to the Environmental Working Group, newborns contain over 200 chemicals as detected by cord blood. Maybe your doctor feels a few more chemicals injected into your child won’t be a big deal.
- Be angry with the cable companies and TV manufacturers for making you and your children fat and lazy, not wanting to exercise or play outside. Lack of exercise kills millions more than polio. Where are all those 80 year olds crippled by polio? I can’t seem to find many.
- In fact, be angry with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates for creating computers so you can sit around all day blasted with electromagnetic radiation reading posts like this.
- Be angry with pharmaceutical companies for allowing us to believe living the above life can be treated with drugs. Correctly prescribed drugs kill thousands of people per year. The flu kills just about no one. The vaccine never works.
Let’s face it, you don’t really give a crap what your children eat. You don’t care about chemicals in their life. You don’t care if they sit around all day watching the TV or playing video games.
All you care about is drinking your Starbuck’s, your next plastic surgery, your next cocktail, your next affair, and your next sugar fix!
This post was created with love and with the idea of creating a better world for our children and future generations. Anger increases your risk of suffering a heart attack. Be careful.
About the Author
Dr. Jack Wolfson is a board certified cardiologist in Phoenix. He is known as The Paleo Cardiologist and The Natural Cardiologist. Check out his website TheDrsWolfson.com and follow him on Facebook at The Drs. Wolfson.